CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Grandpa's Funeral


Today my Grandpa was laid to rest. He was just one month shy of his 90th birthday. I will do a separate post about my Grandpa when I figure out how to get some other pictures uploaded. For now, I wanted to share the beauty of the day.
My Grandpa Shields had been living in a assisted living facility for the past year. About 2 weeks ago, he had a stroke, and he passed away on Friday, October 24 with his wife and 3 children by his side.

Thanks to my wonderful family and my sister, Ally, I was able to head to California by myself on Sunday to be with my extended family. I was able to spend time with my sister, Jenna, who had flown in from Utah. We never get to spend alone time together. On Monday, we went to the Rose Bowl and ran 4 miles.








Then, we had lunch with our dad at the Star Cafe in Montrose, where he works. That afternoon I was able to sneak in and get my teeth cleaned. BONUS!!!!

Here is my mom working at my Dad's dental office, with Norma, their assistant,in the background.

My Dad's office.

On Tuesday, my sister, Saint Ally, picked all my kids up and drove my suburban to California. She also had her 2 year old. She sent her 8 month old on the plane with her husband, Wayland, and Orson. I wish I had a picture of that "fun" ride. I can't thank her enough for offering to help out.
Anyway, I feel at such peace knowing that my Grandpa has gone on to a better place. He no longer is hobbling around on fake knees and with a fake hip. He must be jumping for joy. Katie, Rachael and I were able to sing "God Be With You Till We Meet Again" at the service, and it was so beautiful. I am grateful for the Gospel and the Plan of Salvation. Until we meet again, my sweet Grandpa.... ELDEN BROWN SHIELDS 1918-2008

2 comments:

Gail said...

I'm glad you were able to be there with your family at this time. It's never easy to say goodbye, but what a long life he had, and he was obviously well loved! Sister time is so important...I'm so glad you have great sisters to share it with. I have a sisters reunion every year and we always have the best time!

Suz said...

Rose Bowl RUNNEN'! You are amazing... and determined... And I LOVE IT!
About Grandpa: It never matters the age or even the condition... it isn't easy to loose somebody you love. Thank Heaven for the knowledge of the plan of salvation. Can you imagine not knowing that plan? It is a comfort at the least. My understanding of this blessing increases with each new step of life... which is pretty much daily! My condulances to you and yours.
Lucky you to have sweet sisters to love.